Where to Buy:
- True side-impact protection
- Solid head support and deep side walls
- Built-in anti-rebound bar – minimizes forces that can rotate the seat during impact
- Energy-absorbing foam liner – pushes crash forces away from child
- Tangle-free five point harness with 7 harness heights, and 2 buckle positions
- Quick-adjust harness, no re-thread
- Plush cover set with matching belly pad
- Removable foam infant seat pad that is meant for low birth weight babies – can be used from 4 pounds to 11 pounds
- Large canopy
- LATCH connectors – compatible with most current vehicles
- Push button installation system – tight, secure fit
- Built-in lock-off feature secures vehicles seat belt and keeps car seat from moving more than 1 inch side-to-side, or front-to-back.
- Height adjustment knob on base – allows you to adjust the angle of the seat/base
- Easy-to-read level indicators tell you if the car seat is evenly placed
- Car seat handle is ergonomically designed for comfort and the ease of carrying
- Compatible with BRITAX strollers, including B-READY, B-SCENE, B-NIMBLE, and CHAPERONE, as well as other major strollers with the use of the Britax Adapter Strap Kit – sold separately
- Seat cover is removable and washable
- Is rated to carry 4 pounds to 30 pounds, or 32 inches tall
- Certified for aircraft travel
- Dimensions: 30 x 18.3 x 25.3 inches; 10 pounds
Britax Chaperone Infant Car Seat Review:
What I Like:
Safety, Safety, Safety – The Britax Chaperone offers the most in terms of safety. There are layers upon layers of EPS, energy-absorbing foam, within this seat. First of all, the entire seat shell is lined with it, then there’s additional EPS foam lining in the head restraint. On top of that, the base comes with a built-in Anti-Rebound Bar, which is designed to minimize forces that can rotate the seat during impact.
Tangle-Free Harness – The Britax Chaperone also comes equipped with a tangle-free 5-point child safety harness with Quick-Adjust. In other words, you DO NOT have to re-thread the harness to adjust the height. There is an adjuster on the back of the seat that basically moves the harness up or down. It literally takes 30 seconds. You also get 7 different height adjustments, and two crotch buckle positions.
Infant Insert – The Britax Chaperone comes with a foam infant insert. It’s not like other inserts that simply sit in the seat, it’s actually a foam pad that goes under the seat cover. You can use it with preemie’s or small babies ranging from 4 to 11 pounds. It effectively lifts the baby up, putting them in a more supported position, with the head support on either side.
Large Canopy/Sun Shade – This sun shade is quite big, and it covers nicely. It sort of cocoons your baby. There’s also velcro in the back, so you can detach it and extend it further forward for more protection.
Easy Installation – The Britax Chaperone can be installed using the LATCH system or seat belts. It’s relatively pretty easy to do. It offers a seat-belt lock off on the base which is used to secure the seat belt firmly, or excess strap from the LATCH connectors. The Chaperone also offers a height adjustment knob on the base which allows you to adjust the angle of the base until it is level. You can watch the Britax Chaperone Installation Video’s to get a feel for it.
Compatible with all Britax B-Series Strollers – The Britax Chaperone comes with the stroller attachments that allow you to hook it up to any of the Britax B-Series Strollers, including the Chaperone Stroller, the B-Ready, B-Scene, and B-Nimble. The Britax B-Ready Stroller is probably the most popular match-up. You can also purchase a Britax Adapter Strap Kit, sold separately, that allows you to use it with other major brand name strollers.
What I Don’t Like
Dimensions – This car seat is LONG. It measures about 24 inches long at the base, and about 30.6 inches long at the top of the car seat, so it does NOT FIT in every vehicle. I recommend measuring your back seat before even considering the Britax Chaperone. There were several reviewers that loved the car seat, but they had to return it because it wouldn’t fit in the back seat of their vehicles. Some people were determined to make it fit, and ended up having to slide the passenger seat all the way forward. Below is a list of the few cars mentioned in some of the customer reviews.
- 2011 Subaru Outback
- 2009 Maxima
- 2012 Mazda5 – Had to move passenger seat forward quite a bit
- 2010 Prius – Tight Fit, but doable
- 2009 Ford Escape
- Toyota Highlander – Had to move the passenger seat all the way forward to fit
- 2001 Honda Accord – Fits in the middle not on the sides
- 2012 Honda Pilot – Fits behind driver seat but it’s a tight fit
It Doesn’t Fit
- 2012 Ford Explorer
- 2009 4 Door Dodge Pickup
Weighs 10 Pounds – Yes, the car seat itself weighs 10 pounds. It think the Britax Chaperone is probably the heaviest infant car seat on the market. Keep in mind, safety isn’t light. So, yes it’s heavy, but it’s also worth it. At least I think so.
As far as customer reviews go, the Britax Chaperone Car Seat did pretty well, with 26 out of 33 reviewers rating it 4 to 5 stars. Most loved it! They said that the seat itself was awesome, nice and snug, the canopy was awesome, all the adjustments were awesome, installation was awesome, and all the added safety features were awesome! One reviewer said that it was like having your baby safely secured in a steel roll-cage. As for complaints, most mirrored my own. The biggest complaint was definitely vehicle compatibility, as I mentioned above. The second biggest complaint was probably the weight of the car seat itself. 10 pounds is pretty heavy, however most of the reviewers felt that it was worth it considering all of the safety features, and the higher weight capacity.
The only other common complaint was regarding the missing shopping cart slot on the bottom of the car seat. The thing is, the shopping cart slot is a SAFETY RISK. Britax doesn’t include this feature on any of their infant car seats. They DON’T WANT YOU to put it on top of a shopping cart. It’s NOT SAFE! Just think about it, you’re coming around a corner at Walmart, suddenly someone slams into you, and your baby, and car seat topple to the floor. IT HAPPENS!!
All in all, I’d say that the Britax Chaperone is one of, if not “the”, safest infant car seat on the market. Combine that with the easy installation, and adjust-ability, and I think we’ve got a winner, as long as you can fit it in your car.
Where to Buy:
- At Amazon for $164.36 – Free Shipping
If you’re still undecided, check out the following video review by DadLabs.com, or read through some of the customer feedback on Amazon.
Britax Chaperone Video Demo:
This video review is in reference to the entire Britax Chaperone Travel System.
Best Infant Car Seats -This list includes some of the best infant car seats on the market including top brands like Britax, Chicco, Safety 1st, and Graco.
Best Car Seats – From the best infant car seats and the best convertible car seats, to the best booster seats.